Sunday, April 5, 2009

Allergies or a Cold?!


So last night we had quite the episode with MaKenna. I was nursing her and she started to cry. So I decided to burp her thinking maybe she had a bubble in her tummy. I was trying everything to get her to calm down. I laid her on her back (on MY bed) and was rubbing her belly. Nothing was working. All of a sudden her eyes get all big and she started to THROW UP! Not spit up but throwing up all over the place. I jumped off the bed and had her throw up on the carpet. In the mean time she was choking on her mucus she was throwing up. She was going through periods of not breathing because of the thick mucus she was trying to cough up. I was panicking so I was screaming for Dave to help me out. He got her to calm down finally after about 15 minutes. I started the shower so I could clean off because I was pretty wet from her throwing up on me. Dave decided to put her in the shower with me to help loosen the mucus. SUCCESS! She was breathing normal again. I just stood in the shower for a while with her and she LOVED it! The whole time I held her I was so happy that she was okay, the bed on the other hand had throw up everywhere! The pillows and the sheets were a mess. OOPS! haha
All night I kept a close EAR on her to make sure she was okay. She still sounds pretty congested and she does cough a lot almost throwing up every time. She doesn't look like she is struggling for breath but I can hear stuffiness for sure. We have a vaporizer we are using right now to try to help. Side note: since she was born she has always sounded stuffy or congested. My dad thinks she has allergies, maybe allergic to our dog. :( But I think since she has been stuffy and now is crying a lot more like she is uncomfortable, I think she has a cold of some sort.
Anyone has suggestions? Or has anyone had their little one go through something like this?!

3 comments:

heather telford photography said...

oh Julie I feel for you.. Dylan did that same thing once when he was like 2 months old and i was so scared!! Jeff and I did the exact same thing (funny) shower, vaporizer etc.. I don't think i slept that night cause i was so worried he would throw up again! Whenever Dylan gets stuffy now I just turn the shower on to the hottest and turn it away then sit in the shower with Dylan so the steam clears him up!! Good Luck I hate when my baby is sick it is so sad!!

Matt. Tara. Addi. Roslyn. said...

Oh sad! I don't really have any advice but I feel for ya. I hate it when they are sick and congested. Good job on putting her in the shower, I never would have thought of that! She's so cute!

Cristi said...

Oh!! So sad!!